Saturday, 1 March 2008

dydd dewi sant hapus!












These daffs arrived in the email from Mama Baroque, with an exhortation to be very happy today indeed.

St David's Day is always a wonderful thing, if only because March 1st is so powerful a sign that spring will really come. But in la famille Baroque it does have a bigger significance than that. I might not really wear a daffodil today - and certainly not a leek - this is the big city, after all - but since earliest childhood I've never been allowed to forget where we came from, how proud we should be of that, or what a marvellous thing St David's Day is, to celebrate that. (As I child I was bitterly sad not to have my very own Welsh national costume. It was cruel. Imagine: instilling all that into a little kid and then not getting her the dress! It's just not right.)

Not only that, but where we came from metaphorically. My surprisingly baroque grandfather, and his father, and his father, going back as far as I know about, were all preachers, back to Bishop Morgan, who translated the Bible into Welsh in 1597 - as someone pointed out, probably at the behest of the anti-Latin crown - thereby singlehandedly saving the Welsh language from extinction, and with it other things, like the Mabinogion, which - as everyone knows - was translated into English years later by Lady Charlotte Guest. It sounds whimsical but the effects of all this are evident every time you drive down the road in Wales, and even now there must be a concerted campaign to re-teach Welsh children their own language.

If a language dies out it's more than just words. It's everything. In January this year when the last speaker of the Eyat language in Alaska died, aged 89, it was comparted to the Louvre being burnt down.

I tried to teach myself Welsh when I was about 12 and 13, using a Teach Yourself book brought over by a cousin from Wales. Of course it failed. I was right on top of the mutations, but cases always bother me (I had much the same experience with both German and Russian, where once again I mastered the alphabet no problem... and Welsh and Russian both have very particular non-English vowel sounds), and I had no one to practice with. Long-distance phone calls were far too expensive in those days. So the result is that, although we were brought up to revere this man who did this wonderful thing, and who was somehow our great-great-great-great-x-10-grandfather - and indeed all the subsequent great-grandfathers, though you might well ask where were the grandmothers (and it is mother's day tomorrow) - we can't partake of the fruits of his labour.

Strange to be so ruled by language oneself, and locked out from a language like that. I felt the same two years ago, in bookshops in Paris with my stupid French.

Ah well - Dewi Sant hapus, anyway! Maybe I'll make some welshcakes this afternoon... the Welsh grandmothers would probably love me to do that.

7 comments:

Francis Sedgemore said...

Gŵyl Dewi Sant hapus iawn i ti hefyd, fy ffrind.

Jane Holland said...

Welsh is very much alive and kicking, Katy!

See my friend Bo's who both speaks and teaches it at an Oxford college - whilst not being Welsh himself but a Celtic language expert (also teaches modern and medieval Gaelic of other types, including Irish). It's called The Expulsion of the Blatant Beast and often contains delicious, erudite nuggets about poetry, both ancient and contemporary, in English and Gaelic.

In the Isle of Man they are certainly attempting to re-teach Manx kids their own language, as it died out with the last native speaker, Ned Maddrell, in about 1977. But Welsh is a different kettle of linguistics and in no danger of dying out at present, as far as I know.

Ms Baroque said...

Jane, why is your entire comment a link?

Yes, I also have friends who are native speakers - I have relatives who never learned english at all till secondary school. But they themselves have told me how hard it was, in the early years of the 20th century, to get Welsh reinstated in schools, and to make it "respectable" again to speak it. It was decidedly second-class for a long time and I've heard - once again, not as history but as family stories - of people being punished for speaking it. Admittedly, not recently! But My post recounts the struggle I was brought up to be aware of, and how thankful we should be that the Establishment never managed to wipe it out as a literary force.

Adrian Slatcher said...

A friend of mine returned to live near Wrexham, and having never learnt Welsh started to teach himself. When he had a son he started teaching him as well - talking to him from a baby. Now his son's bilingual despite not having a native Welsh speaker in the house, and moreover, his father has to learn more and more to keep up with his son. Marvellous isn't it?

Jane Holland: Editor said...

I have no idea why my entire comment is a link. Doh!

Ms Baroque said...

LOL

Matt Merritt said...

Lovely post, and I hope you had a great St David's Day. My work colleagues are finishing the last of my Welsh cakes as I write, after I slaved over a hot bakestone on Saturday.
Hopefully, as Jane says, the tide has well and truly turned where Welsh is concerned. When I left Cardiff (late 1998), the company I worked for was just starting to offer all employees half a day's Welsh tuition a week, and bilingualism seems to be more and more common.
I keep telling myself I'll learn using a Teach Yourself book and watching Pobol y Cwm on S4C.