Monday, 10 March 2008

selling poetry like it's something people want

Great news for Salt Publishing - who, as regular readers know, is going to publish my first poetry collection, Me and the Dead, this summer. They have just won the Neilsen Innovation of the Year award in the Independent Publishing Awards. According to Director Chris Hamilton-Emery, they are "not quite sober yet."

According to the Independent Publishers' Guild, Salt has won this award "for finding new ways to increase sales of its poetry and short stories despite tough market conditions, through online marketing, partnerships and brand development. 'Salt is bucking the trend in poetry by growing its sales'," says the IPG. "'Its innovation in lots of small ways adds up to a major achievement'."

The awards were set up by the IPG in association with The Bookseller and London Book Fair.

With its sales on the increase, improved distribution and a new US Sales and Marketing Director, Salt is showing the industry that poetry can sell. You just have to believe people want it.

Hurrah! May their innovation continue and their revenues increase.

4 comments:

rilly super said...

Dearest Miss Baroque, I wish you best of luck with your poetry book. People do want this stuff you know. Even here in the north we have 'poetry and pints' every month in the theatre bar, although it's on a monday night so I'm afraid I'm not what you'd call a regular. Although my daughter's recent interpretation of Lady Lazarus might have given a bad impression, at SITN we do like americans and poetry, we're just not very good at expressing it, which I suppose is why your stuff is going in a book and my family's isn't, sigh. Best wishes again. Love Rilly

Rob said...

"You just have to believe people want it"

And work really hard at getting it to them, I imagine!

Ms Baroque said...

Rilly dear, your daughter is a prodigy, as you well know. I wish my daughter had written something like that, derivitive or not. And I only wish I cold hop on the downshifting bandwagon with you, and make my firtune among stone-hearth tiles; but alas, if I downshifted any more I'd be back in that one-vedroom flat in Hackney, and let me tell you: nobody wants to read about that!

Perhaps your little girl is onto something; I can certainly relate to her lack of enthusiasm for another house move! I should try combining the two genres, maybe some gritty, street-life poemns in lieu of an actual downshift.

Ms Baroque said...

Rob - LOL, and the rest! Well said.