Tuesday, 4 March 2008

it's a good thing poetry makes nothing happen

In the Telegraph:

"The Board of Deputies of British Jews is considering making a complaint to the police over a newspaper interview with the poet Tom Paulin in which he is reported as saying that American-born settlers in Israel should be shot dead.

Paulin, who appears regularly on the panel of the BBC2 arts programme Newsnight Review (formerly Late Review), allegedly made the comment in an interview with the Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram.

The interviewer wrote that Paulin, a consistent critic of Israeli conduct towards the Palestinians, clearly abhorred 'Brooklyn-born' Jewish settlers. Paulin, a lecturer at Hertford College, Oxford, was then quoted as saying: 'They should be shot dead.

'I think they are Nazis, racists, I feel nothing but hatred for them'."

Phew!

"Earlier in the interview, he was quoted as saying: "I never believed that Israel had the right to exist at all'."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really hate it when people are so wishywashy about their feelings.

Ms Baroque said...

Toby I SO know what you mean.

Jane Holland said...

I think Tom Paulin is going to be having 'Troubles' of his own after this ...

Rachel Fox said...

Does he have a book coming out?