the elegantly dressed thinking of Dr Johnson

Patrick Kurp, at Anecdotal Evidence, writes about literary biography and the New Criticism (as was):
"From Samuel Johnson – his works and life – I have learned much about how to be a man and a writer, how to live with unhappiness and adversity, how to dwell in vanity while striving, without hope, for humility."
He links to Theodore Dalrymple in the City Journal, who explains that Johnson's greatness lies in just this paradox, which is the source of his profundity as a human being:
"Johnson is a good but flawed man, always trying to be, but not always succeeding in being, a better one: he is proud, he is humble; he is weak, he is strong; he is prejudiced, he is generous-minded; he is tenderhearted, he is bad-tempered; he is foolish, he is wise; he is sure of himself, he is modest; he is idle, he is hardworking; he is opinionated, he is consumed by doubt; he is spiritual, he is carnal; he is hopeful, he is despairing; he is skeptical, he is credulous; he is melancholy, he is lighthearted; he is deferential, he is aware that he has no superior in the world; he is clumsy of body, he is elegant of mind and diction; he is a failure, he is triumphant. We never expect to meet anyone who, to such a degree, encompasses in his being all human vulnerability and human resilience."
Look how nice that paragraph looks, the words laid out! All the "is"es. Lovely.
I know that "elegantly dressed" is a bit of an overstatement in the Doctor's case... and he's not exactly topical. But he's timeless.





3 comments:
I just wanted to say that Samuel Johnson and I were both born in Lichfield. Interestingly, I too am both vulnerable and resilient.
I think I need some attention.
Charles dear, your BOOK is out! Readers of Baroque, please buy Little Monsters. (I do feel cruelly cheated of a London launch.)
And I've been following your blog, you're on a complete roll lately, but for some reasona lways too tired to comment when I read - I keep falling asleep on the couch at 9.30, what is THAT about - but really. I love that baby shirt. Readers, go look at the baby shirt.
Anyway, Charles, attention is yours, and Lichfield must be a wonderful place. So says I.
xx
You feel cheated! I would have adored a London launch. I had a list of people I haven't seen for thirty years I was going to invite. We'd have sold hundreds of copies. Oh, Picador!
The roll is nervous, snipped from odd moments between all the stuff I have to do to get back on an even earning keel after the last few months. I'm nearly there...
Lichfield isn't wonderful but it's very pleasant indeed. Johnson's house is modest and comely, and there's a tea shop that still makes sugar mice but is otherwise a shadow of its former self. I do have fond memories though. There's also an excellent second-hand bookshop although the last time I went in, alas, I overheard its owner ranting in Daily Mail fashion about immigrants. I put down the books I was going to buy and left, scowling. Why are so many second-hand booksellers SO right-wing?
Yes, I love the baby shirt too!
Post a Comment