elegantly dressed words
Deep in my MacNeice piece, now, so no picture. I'll let him provide the images:
Shelley and jazz and lieder and love and hymn-tunes
And day returns too soon;
We'll get drunk among the roses
In the valley of the moon.
Give me an aphrodisiac, give me lotus,
Give me the same again;
Make all the erotic poets of Rome and Ionia
And Florence and Provence and Spain
Pay a tithe of their sugar to my potion
And ferment my days
With the twang of Hawaii and the boom of the Congo;
Let the old Muse loosen her stays
Or give me a new Muse with stockings and suspenders
And a smile like a cat,
With false eyelashes and finger-nails of carmine
And dressed by Schiaparelli, with a pill-box hat.
Autumn Journal, section XV





6 comments:
You know, I like that. I like that a lot (sshhh!)
Shit - that's good! Isn't he wonderful? Bloody music in every syllable. Thank You! xx
I would die happy if all I ever accomplished was sixteen lines that wonderful.
Guys - I know, I know... 56 pages of that stuff - who could stand it.
OMG! I've just had a fabulous idea for yet another Holland blog, inspired by something in your sidebar. Sounds like a sibilant salad selection but yes, yes, it could work, it might be just the thing. Once I've been evicted - soon, too soon, alas - I may do this, I may just get my claws stuck into this new blog idea. Wow. And you did this to me, you wrote that seductive thing in the sidebar, you gave me the idea. So if it all goes horribly wrong, at least now I can say, well, it was all that Baroque's fault ...
Hmm. Now where have I heard that particular get-out-of-jail-free clause before?
Jx
What, what? What did I do?? Seductive, really? :crimps hair: - oh, wait, you mean seductive as in your idea.
Post a Comment