Wednesday, 6 February 2008

a fauvel for our times











Another reason (yes, I already had one: I missed the Contemporary Poetry Review staff party at the Chelsea Hotel, sob!) to wish I'd been in New York City last week: a performance to music, with screened projections, of Ian Duhig's poems based on the Roman de Fauvel, in "stylistically diverse sections [which] include examples of most types of 14th-century notated music, like monophonic liturgical chant, secular French ballades, early-13th-century two-part motets and three- and four-voice motets typical of the style pioneered by the composer and poet Philippe de Vitry."

According to no less august an organ than the New York Times:

“Neither political corruption nor the cardinal sins have gone out of fashion since 'The Roman de Fauvel', a satirical poem denouncing ruling institutions in France, was written in the early 14th century. But some of the work’s references would mean little to modern audiences.

The Clerks’ Group, a British vocal ensemble specializing in early music, offered an updated version of the 'Roman,' with colorful, witty poems by Ian Duhig, on Sunday as part of the Music Before 1800 series at Corpus Christi Church in Morningside Heights.”

A charming path to contemplation in this week of political frenzy, then - a chance to chill out to the early music in what looks like a glorious and utterly New York setting, whilst reflecting on the innately corrupting qualities of worldly power. I just love early music (and medieval literature). And these kinds of recitals and things - I just think they really know how to do this stuff in New York. The Times clearly loved it, too: they've described Duhig's poems as "cheeky," talking about what a laugh some of the jokes raised. When's the last time you read a high culture review like that over here?

I guess it leaves the TS Eliot Prize readings in the dust. And I'm missing it again in Philadelphia on Friday.

To read my review of Duhig's collection, The Speed of Dark, which was based on the Fauvel roman, click here.

No comments: