Friday, 22 February 2008

not Vincent Price


















(not)


"To leave is romantic, to return is baroque." -Anton LaVey

I saw this quote on 3 Quarks Daily. I collected it for my Baroqueness files. I looked up Anton LaVey. Oh dear.

And he was born on my birthday! I'd love to be able to think of him as a sort of lovable Vincent Price character, but I'm afraid it is not possible. (Though, for coincidences, here's another: Vincent Price died on the very same day as my grandmother. I have to say, it was a comfort.)

However, of mild amusement is LaVey's listed list of influences. Spot the odd ones out...
Ayn Rand
Aleister Crowley
Friedrich Nietzsche
HL Mencken
Jack London...

3 comments:

Anne said...

Jack London! But!! He was my childhood hero!!! I am sure he's not the odd one out though, as they all seem pretty fascist.

(Erm, the correct answer must be HL Mencken.)

(Let me die now, please.)

R.H. said...

Hi babes. I think it's Mencken, he was a humourist (humorist) the rest aren't funny. Or it might be London, he was an innocent nut.
Nietzsche was mad and Rand was spooky. Crowley was both.

To leave is romantic, if you jump off a cliff.

Ms Baroque said...

RH. Precisely. That's why I'm not called Romantic in Hackney.

Well, I thought the odd ones out were definitely Mencken and London. Innocent nut - I like it. Yes... I loved The Call of the Wild when I was seven; I don't think I learned any evil or megalomania from it.

Anne, die? Don't be so romantic.