Friday, 8 February 2008

"I'm afraid the patient has died."

'All this emphasis on bonnets and re-doing of period dramas is demeaning and patronising. It's as if the film-makers think all the viewers can cope with is something they've already heard of before."

So says Nicola Beauman, the founder of Persephone Books, which re-publishes little-known, out-of-print books, mostly by women, and mostly out of copyright - which means (duh!) mostly "costume dramas." (I have long thought Persephone makes lovely volumes, as objects, though I've never read one of them - which is as much about me not reading much fiction these days as it is about anything.)

The Guardian continues:

"...many of [the 75 books published by Persephone] are, in her eyes, prime candidates for adaptation ("except maybe the cookery books"). Hence her bafflement at the BBC's recent production of Sense and Sensibility, which has, of course, been brought to the screen very successfully before. News that there's another version of Brideshead Revisited in production doesn't thrill Beauman either. 'I don't understand how they get away with it,' she fumes."

Now, she is a woman after my own heart. I love this. I've had several conversations lately with several people that sounded just like this quote - about the Dickens glut, the Austen glut (& I love Austen: but did we really need another Sense & Sensibility so soon after Ang Lee's film - and did it really need to be so similar to it??), the stupid heritage-industry feel of it all, the constant low-level boredom...

I know I don't watch much TV anyway. And I know they did Jane Eyre recently, but if I recall correctly it was also horribly bowdlerised. And it seems to have no bearing on anything. I don't think this is just about TV, as such: it's about the loss of a living culture, in which the people who make the decisions for us (yes they do) operate out of fear, rather than from having their fingers on the pulse.

Or is fear itself the pulse? Are we all so uncertain what anything means that all we can cope with is endless Dickens, Harry (not Dennis, of course) Potter and Austen? Whatever happened to things like that wonderful series of Cold Comfort Farm? (We don't want another; they can find something else to film.) I remember when they filmed Elizabeth von Arnim's The Enchanted April, with Josie Lawrence in it: lovely. (I do love her books.) Why can't they make Decline and Fall? Why, if they want costumes, can't they film something by Henry Green?

I know. I love the books and don't need the mini-series. But this debate is not about that, it's about the way we think about our culture - as opposed to "society" - and its artefacts, what we want from the past and the future, how we discuss these things among ourselves in the larger group. Here's a question: as Brideshead did sum up the early 80s so scarily well, their pretension and snobbery - and ersatz nostalgia - what would sum up right now? What are our qualities, if you were a cultural critic? Are we not allowed to be cultural critics any more? Why can't they film Brave New World? (Because then our children would understand the meaning of the "inclusion room" at school. And they don't wear frilly dresses in Brave New World.)

But if you want chiffon and some flowers, wouldn't it even be interesting for someone to try to do justice to, say, Mrs Dalloway? (She's younger in the flashbacks.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brave New World has been filmed. The last one I could find was a made-for-TV movie from 1998 which 'modernised' the story. It's not available on DVD and a part of me is very, very glad. I saw an earlier version and it was also pretty dire. I'm sure the BBC would do a decent enough job IF someone could rope in a decent writer. Maybe Nigel Kneale did an adaptation that someone could film. After all his Nineteen Eighty-Four was excellent.

tristan said...

and you can never have heard kenneth williams reading cold comfort farm ... the bbc lost the tapes

Anonymous said...

I don't know what is worse: constant redo-ings of classics that are available in recent productions either on tv or dvd, or seemingly ignoring great productions that were done in the past and not bringing them back as they are. I, for one, sat rivited for two or three nights running in a hotel room while I was out of town on business, watching "Precious Bane". I've been waiting for it to either come back through or be released on video or dvd. No. such. luck. I did finally see "Flickers" though, another terrific production, but it took them 20+ years to release it. I'd rather give up all the extra "Pride and Prejudice", "Emma", "Jane Eyre" et al. for more interesting stuff like those.

Ms Baroque said...

Hi Jim, well naturally I think it is all in the writing. And the performances of course, etc, btu in the writing first. And you're right.

Tristan - argh - is there anything they HAVEN'T destroyed? Either on purpose or by accident? Well... it's only a licence fee...

Abd Toby, well that is interesting. Mary Webb. I don't know it but it sounds like we could do with more of thst kind of less obvious stuff.