les is more (baroque)

Les Murray, Australia's largest and most cantankerous poet and one of my favourites, is in a bit of a kerfuffle. Asked to write a blurb for someone, he replied to the publisher that he was tired of being asked to provide free services, and proposed a deal wherein if the publisher would look at a certain manuscript by Mrs Murray, he would gladly write the blurb.
The publisher has taken umbrage, and there have been words.
The Age, in Australia, reports:
"Contacted yesterday, Murray dismissed the letter as 'a joke' and said his intention was to say no to the publisher, 'but I said it in a baroque way'. Told it did not read like a joke, he replied: "It reads like, 'Piss off,' actually.
For 40 years, he said, 'people have been preying on me for free services and this is only a desire to stir trouble'.
Anyway, he said: 'Blurbs are nonsense — they're all hyperbole and hype'."
Of course, I hate to have to point out that I myself have recently been in the ignominious position of approaching people for blurbs - or "endorsements" - and it is a hideous, gruelling business. All you can do is be businesslike about it. I feel for the poor sod whose publisher was trying to get the blurb from Murray, but at least he wasn't asking directly...
But you know, I have heard Les Murray read, and he was wonderful. He's very charismatic and a good speaker. I love his work. He's made his career out of more of a plain-speaking thing, the humble guy (with a chip on his shoulder) and all that, but maybe he's turning more baroque as he gets older. Maybe I should write to him, one baroque to another, and try my luck. I just need to think of some sort of proposal...
Hat tip to Mark Granier for the story...
nb: I am in love with that picture. Isn't it great?





7 comments:
Thought you might like that Katy. And I in turn must credit Ron Silliman, whose latest post on his website put me on to the article. I often check out the generous selection of links in his posts.
I'm that bit further from Austrlaia than you Miss B but from this distance, is that chap actually a Barry Humphries character?
Mark, there's something a bit soulless about all those lists of links; I think I got more mileage out of the story coming from you.
Rilly dear, I know you are... poor thing... and no, not that I know of. I can;t think of many things more frightening than the idea of Les Murray in drag.
I'm with you on the soullessness of Ron's links. Most days I can't be, er, bothered, so come here and have a lot more fun instead.
Great pic, and LAM is one of my heroes (not to be confused with those of the north west frontier, though I am easily confused).
(Heavens, I find the comment-mod essay too challenging at times.)
Well, I'm always grateful to dearest Ron for his links to my site, she says, in a superior fashion. Nothing soulless about Raw Light, I can assure you. Quite the opposite. Especially on Thursdays.
Anne, I'm sorry about the comment moderation; aside form anything it keeps mme aware of when people make comments... if you get a too-hard word, though, you can just hit publish and when it comes back at you it's with a different word.
And thanks! Glad you like it here.
This comment was brought to you by our sponsor, Raw Light by Jane Holland. Maybe I'll email Ron and ask for a link, just to stop her showing off. :P
Touché!
I find the wobbly 'q's hardest in the comments moderation. I type 'q' but clearly it was 'y' or perhaps even 'g' because whenever there's what appears to be a 'q', I just get bounced back to the screen again.
Damn those 'q's. Now here we go again ...
Post a Comment