to be a kid again
Mlle B, just back from staying with friends for a couple of days over half-term, tells me that their 6-year-old daughter has an iPod, and talks for ages on the phone to her friends, and asks if she can call them on their mobiles... she also tells me that CBBC has loads of special kids' reality TV shows on it, featuring primary schoolchildren.
Give me a break!
But meanwhile, an evening spent watching Mlle B's TV (I know; what has come over me?) and I'm a) brain-dead; b) creeped out after watching CSI, Waterloo Road, something really stupid called Ghost Whisperer and the trailers for some vampire programme; and c) sick unto death of the trailers for that godawful Elizabeth: the Golden Age film. I don't know how the teenagers stand it, day in and day out. The good news is that one clearly manages to keep oneself very well insulated in the normal run of things! And now, to sleep, perchance to dream. (Ay, there's the rub...)





1 comment:
My kids live for CBBC and, in spite of all the scaremongering research, I don't see that it does them any more harm to watch it than it does me, sitting at the computer half the night. I do wish Discovery Kids - a truly great channel - hadn't disappeared about a year ago, but that's life ...
I tend to watch whatever Steve is watching, while we eat supper together, around 9pm. Essentially that means sci-fi or 'alternative' drama like Torchwood or Ashes to Ashes. Luckily I enjoy that sort of thing and find it refreshingly intelligent.
Other than that, and the odd re-run of Buffy in the early afternoons while I'm eating lunch, I almost never have time for the telly anymore. In the great battle of addictive screens, the computer has won this soul at least ...
Post a Comment