Friday, 1 February 2008

note to self









Catch up on EastEnders when I get back!

Here's Nancy Banks-Smith on last night's episode, which was apparently a tour-de-force monologue by the 80-year-old June Brown, aka Dot Branning:

"Ethel and Dot were like the girls Dylan Thomas described from his boyhood in Wales: "There was always one pretty and pert, and always one in glasses." I find that quite irritatingly memorable, as I used to be the one in glasses."

Ah, yes. And now I have a train to catch.

3 comments:

Uncle Dick Madeley said...

I seem to remember that they did something like this years ago. It's usually a way to grab attention but I think it's a rare case of TV doing something interesting. I wait for the day when the old series of 'Steptoe and Son' will be fully realised for their playwriting genius. Most of those were just two people in a single room, talking for half an hour.

Anonymous said...

Only just found your blog via our mutual friend Ms Selena. I have been reading back on your posts and enjoying them. You might be interested to note that there is no public wifi where I am either... but I can see the sea. How was Southwold?

Elizabeth Baines said...

Me too. The one in glasses, I mean. That sentence used to make me feel the way Dot looks in the pic.