with apologies to the Poetry Society
I hope I'm not coming over unusually bad-tempered this week. I already managed to annoy one person I had no intention of annoying and in fact hadn't thought it was really possible to annoy, as well as a few other people, and then capped it by going off nauseous and sick, my head spinning in its own "bad, bright whip of flow" - so if I offend, please pardon me.
But this thing that has come into my inbox - what is it?
"Rooted at opposite ends of Britain – one in Devon, the other in Fife – Alice Oswald and Kathleen Jamie have much in common. Still in their early forties, both have combined motherhood, and very private lives, with extraordinary success as poets. Alice Oswald has won not only the T.S. Eliot Prize but also the Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize, while Kathleen Jamie is one of only two poets to have won the Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize twice. Both have won the Forward Poetry Prize. Each of them combines an intense love for, and close attention to, nature, with imagery that is at once precise, and utterly new - for Alice Oswald, eels in the river Dart are ‘bright whips of flow’, for Kathleen Jamie, a corncrake is ‘a votive statue hidden in the grass’. And while Jeanette Winterson describes Alice Oswald as ‘the rightful heir to Ted Hughes’, Richard Mabey considers Kathleen Jamie’s work ‘as close as writing gets to a conversation with the natural world’. Long-standing admirers of one another’s work, they meet, and read together, for the first time."
Can we just pause for a moment here. "Rooted (geddit!?) at opposite ends of Britain - one in Xxx, one in Xxx - [Male Poet] and [Male Poet] have much in common. Still only in early middle age, both have managed to combine fatherhood and the intense demands of paid employment with extraordinary success as poets..."
Is it just me?
Then the fatuous list of awards won - and to be honest while I wouldn't sneer at any of them once my book is out (and I become a real boy!) I do wish we could sometimes talk avbout something besides awards ("how big is yours?") - and then the luvvie mutual congratulations at the end.
To think of going along to witness two mutual admirers mutually admire each other and then read their poems! You would have to pay me handsomely. And, come to that, why are Poetry Society members going for free? It doesn't sound as if this is being done for the audience, or for the sake of the poetry, at all. In fact, it reminds me faintly of this unforgettable bagatelle from my friend James Marcus...





14 comments:
Rooted at opposite ends of Britain?
Good heavens.
I don't want to explain the laugh that would get here.
-Robert.
Miss Pants would know.
(But would she tell?)
Robert, I can just guess. Your first comment made me laugh out loud. I gather the great Ms P is now back inthe Land of Oz, so she'll be boning up on all those old expressions.... as the actress said to the bishop...
What? But you've just done it again!
Golly, well I can't help thinking your recent excursion to other blogs has pulled you down a moral peg or two! And I'm quite sure Mizz Pants will not be boning up in any fashion whatsoever.
-Robert!
Robert, you are right. Ms P is the moral better of all of us. It's just me, you know: I'm sure I'm low.
Are you kidding, don't be ridiculous, no one is more refined than you.
And don't be fooled by Mizz P, twenty years in England ain't put the fire out yet.
Somebody in the Poetry Society needs a geography lesson. Since when was Fife at the end of Britain? I think the denizens of the north west of Scotland, not to mention the northern isles, might have something to say about that.
Or maybe we should combine this post with the one above it and say one of them lives in Budapest.
It does sound hideously luvvie, doesn't it?
I'm a big fan of Alice Oswald's work, as you already know. I met her very briefly at Aldeburgh last year; I heard her read for the very first time and then asked her to sign some books of hers I'd brought along. I told her I thought she was one of the most talented and innovative poets of our generation (we were born the same year, 1966) and passed her my email and website addresses.
She barely looked at me during this one-sided conversation, clearly bored by the whole book-signing ordeal, squiggled a tiny black dot with a tail - her signature?! - on the title page, and might as well have barked 'Next!' as I moved away.
Needless to say perhaps, she didn't bother emailing me.
I wasn't surprised by this; on reading her fabulous Dart, I had written much the same thing to her a year or so ago, via her publishers, and been utterly ignored.
Is it just me or is that sort of super-celebrity behaviour phenomenally rude in our tiny world of poetry?
I emailed a complete stranger two days ago with a query about a book he has coming out with Carcanet this spring, and received three lengthy emails in return, along with his entire book - still at proof stage! - by attachment.
So, I may love Oswald's poetry, but I also consider her boorish and ungrateful for her readership. That rather spoils the package for me.
Jane dear, we really must try and get together soon. You are so refreshing. Would you like a copy of my manuscript?
Hi Katy
I enjoyed this one a lot.
Salute!
Tim
Hi Tim! Well, we live to please. Very glad you liked it. Maybe one day they'll be writing this about us, eh, except that we've met, of course. "Rooted at opposite ends of London, one 0207 and one 0208..."
Have any of you read the link? You must.
A copy of your manuscript?
Goodness me. When's the book out? Do I get to doodle on it? You must know I'll rip it to shreds, or use it to balance a wonky chair, or something equally dismissive.
Go on then. Do you have my new address?
Hey, after months of trudging the poetry deserts, I just landed a major review slot at PR. Four poems taken by online magazines over the past few weeks. And a paid gig at Essex University later this spring.
As dear Steve said to me only this morning, poetry is like buses, isn't it? You wait for ages for one to appear, and then ...
Oh, actually, I now realise you meant by email attachment.
Doh!
Post a Comment