Sunday, 27 May 2007

another bank holiday weekend

Spot the signs.

The kids - I say kids, but the boys never even come here any more, they've realised there are too many rules, and besides, their father lets them lock themselves in their rooms - anyway Mlle B, plus the others, are all at their dad's for the week.

All my friends are busy. One's in St Ives. lucky thing, and others are not answering their phones. They all have kids who can't run away from them, so they're busy, and also they all have boyfriends. Or even more extreme, they have husbands! Some of them managed to keep theirs, and some did the impossible and managed to find new ones. I've gone through the whole thing of wondering why I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a partner - in fact, the attempts to have one, the stupid relationships and ill-advised what-have-I-got-to-lose peccadilloes, have gained me such a reputation that everyone laughs if I complain... anyway, English men (apologies if you are one, reading this) just seem to want to get drunk and drag someone up to their bed, and then forget about it till next time. (They also seem to have such an increbible penchant for adultery that they'll even pretend not to be elsewhere engaged, in case you spoiled their fun!) Eventually anyone would get bored. I'm still waiting for a single guy who'll talk to me sober.

One friend's parents have just arrived in town, which is lovely, except I was firmly put in my place on their account when suggesting a coffee. There was a time when it would have been, "Oh, my parents would love to see you!" so I'm not sure what's happened there. It's not just this weekend, either. It's like my kids, I guess: she's grown out of me. Maybe I'm not fun enough.

Everyone else must just be busy. And they only want to get together evenings, midweek, anyway. Right now I'm too knackered to do that. And anyway it wouldn't solve the problem of the interminable weekend.

And now, halfway through yet another one, boy am I bored! No one will help me move the bookcase that's stuck halfway across a room (I've been trying to get them to help me for almost a year, and finally yesterday I just thought fuck it, and started - but I just can't do it). There's nothing happening later today - or indeed tomorrow - to look forward to. I could go to the cinema, I suppose, alone. I could waste yet another day trying to ring people only to be told everyone's busy.

I should be writing, I wanted to be writing, I planned to write - but I can't. I'm restless. Writing is not best done as a displacement activity.

Rain! The vital ingredient of any long weekend. I could "go out for a coffee" - take the laptop, feel like I'm accomplishing something - but I'd have to get a bus there. I could go to the cafe in the park, but I'd get soaked. Not ideal with laptop, or notebook, or whatever. And it's just so boring, constantly having to do it all alone, pointlessly, aimlessly, for no reason except something to do.

If I go into town I'll just be the same and anyway, I can't eat anywhere on my stupid low-fat diet, and I get this lassitude descending on me after being out for a couple of hours. It comes to something when you're actually looking forward to an operation. (And even being sick, I have to say, does provide an excuse for being alone in the house, but it isn't the reason for it! I was alone in the house before.)

Yesterday I came out of the supermarket and thought I'd just sit in the pub with the Guardian and a glass of wine. I did; and that was when it set in, as I sat there like the invisible woman for an hour while everyone else smoked and drank and talked to all their adorable, amusing friends. There was a guy with amazing blue eyes and a smiley face at the next table, but he looked right through me.

Who could stand the certainty of living all alone forever? There's no distraction from anything, no one else's ideas, no one to give you moral support for the hard stuff like bills and Ikea - no one to DO any of the hard stuff - you have to go out if you want even the slightest bit of company - you can never relax, you have to be always interesting and fun, because you're having to earn people's interest. And you don't get to just have some reassurance or whatever, because friendships aren't like that in the city. It's not like TV where people get a phone call - they answer their phones - and, in response to thier friend's distress, drop everything and go to their actual flat. You have to book in a date. Thursday week," for example. And you meet up in public, for a pizza or a movie. You want a bit of company, it'll cost you £20. All that will happen is one will get older and more decrepit, and less interesting, and with less and less right to anyone's attention and, as you presumably will retire, less and less money for doing nice things.

People say I should relish my independence, but I don't. I take independence for granted - which may be silly, as men don't seem to like it. I used to take affection, company, a helping hand, and the feeling of being wanted for granted. Now that WAS silly.

Hm, well that's killed an hour. Maybe I should get dressed and go for a coffee.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rain doesn't help, does it?

Maybe it will help for you to know that rather than whooping it up down at Candy Bar, 100% Babe or even the Royal Oak, I am sat in my flat, doing 2 final pieces of coursework that I couldn't be less interested in, watching my ass grow by the second.

There's got to be life before death!

Political Umpire said...

I like this piece, Ms B, if I may say. I like it a lot, and will link to it. It doesn’t reflect my present situation in the remotest - the umpire’s pavilion is not a solitary place in the remotest. These days I have precious little ‘me’ time. That’s the wrong word, really, since jnr ump & Mrs Ump are considerably more precious than me time. Though some ’me time’, just occasionally, isn’t a bad thing for all concerned. When I was first in the UK, however - and this was entirely a voluntary choice, as I left behind a pretty settled existence to go adventuring - it was _all_ me time, and it would on occasion start to drive me stir crazy. I didn’t have internet access, and so was unable to say that at least I entertained others with my thoughts on me time. Which you have just done. It may be no consolation, but I do think that the internet has changed the way we live - after all you didn’t even have to get wet sharing your thoughts with anyone.

I’m shifting bookcases too, incidentally. Mrs Ump’s expectant condition precludes her helping much, but not having had any surgery recently I’m able to do it myself. Trouble is, my swearing after I drop it on my fingers will have an audience, and that’s a bad thing. Back to the freelance work in the meantime.

Erin O'Brien said...

If you were here, we would laugh and talk and then I would take you on a walk that would go for miles and miles and miles and show you tons of stuff that I think is fascinating as hell.

But you are not here! Oof!

You might try the walk anyway. That is what I love to do. I go for miles and look at all the things around me. This house has a windchime, this one has a basketball hoop. I look at the construction of a bridge or the plants hanging in a window. Then I breathe and think and smile and wonder about what all of our outward details say about us and our neighborhoods.

I am sending magic dust your way:

***************

Careful! it is powerful!

Francis Sedgemore said...

Katy - As a divorcee living alone I can empathise, but then I actively avoid close companionship, and so cannot complain about my lot. You, however, appear to be making a real effort to be sociable, so I wish you well and hope that you soon find what you're looking for.

I've just been out for a nice, if slightly damp, walk alone around Greenwich Park. There's some rich colour in the flowers and grass after these last few days of rain, and the squirrels seem in an almost meditative state. I really should be working now, but for some reason cannot summon the energy.

R.H. said...

This is all so agonising you have to laugh.

I was quite absorbed, and serious too, until the last paragraph: very funny. No one's here for nothing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
My name is Gwyn and I have just discovered that we are related! I have been in touch with Leigh and this morning received an e-mail from your mum.
I have a web site which has loads of info on our family, and with the help of your California cousins and your mum I am finding out more fascinating connections.
I live in Rhos-on- sea in North Wales with my wife and 2 children. I think your blog is so good, well put together and I am one to appreciate creativity as I have been known to draw myself.
Hope to hear from you,
Gwyn
www.gwynhughes.co.uk

Ms Baroque said...

Oh, I'm so embarrassed now.

Kris, you'd think so wouldn't you?

P-Ump,please be very careful. Not only did I fall off a ladder backwards when 6 months pregnant with Mlle B, which thinking about ht seems to have done her no harm, but I think these months are very accident-prone for expectant dads as well. Why on earth are you linking this of all posts?? I know, it's la comedie humaine: every so often I like to do my bit.

Erin, I'm now completely covered in magic dust and it feels great. You're a star!

Francis, see? I wanted to go to the park but I was too bored. I'm tired of my park. I love Greenwich Park, though. And I know it;'s a personal question and we are as good as SHOUTING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET, but I now want to know why you actively avoid close companionship! Is it a once-burned thing? You're great on paper.

RH, if I have made you laugh I have done my bit. You see. Even in my lowest moment I had an eye for a bathetic let-down. Of course that last bit cheered me up no end.

Gwyn, hi! You had an email from Mama Baroque? Guys, you see what my family is like. They get EVERYWHERE. Gwyn, I'll email you. It is freaky seeing Grandfather's name on your website.

Now. I did go for my coffee, and I moved a couple of poems along pretty nicely while I was at it. I do write better in coffee shops I think: I find they concentrate the mind. It all started feeling more normal. I did walk halfway to the far-away one, too. But Erin, not so much lovely windchimes, more like rudeboys and roadworks.

Anyway, all better. When I arrived home, Mlle B was briefly here with her friend Kitty who always makes me laugh, and Kitty was on a silent protest at Mlle B taking so long to get ready to go out - she acted out the explanation for her silence in a combination of charades, text messages and mouthing the words. They're gone now but it did cheer me up completely!

And the bonus for the day is THIS! Not only did my inbox contain all these lovely comments, it also contained (here's another confession, okay) today's horoscope. I'll just copy it in below:

"The pleasant Libra Moon and the clever Gemini Sun emphasize communication, but a tense opposition between mental Mercury and dark Pluto sets a deeper tone for the day. Mercury is strong in its own sign Gemini, yet Pluto forces us to stop distracting ourselves with our own noisy thoughts. We must deal with a serious situation that can drive our unspoken fears and desires into the open. Talking about our feelings helps us to overcome the blockages."

Uncanny, n'est-ce pas?

Francis Sedgemore said...

Uncanny, n'est-ce pas?

No, just meaningless coincidence.

Chin up!

Pants said...

'Who could stand the certainty of living all alone forever? There's no distraction from anything, no one else's ideas, no one to give you moral support for the hard stuff like bills and Ikea.'

Ooops. I love the idea of that, except the Ikea bit, obviously. I AM sad. I hope you did go out for that coffee.

xx


Pants

R.H. said...

I'm extremely boring. Hating movies, hating cafes, never wanting to go out. What woman would put up with that? (ha ha ha) None.
Golly but they love luxury, entertainment, silverware. You bet. And talk most of all. Bright conversation. Yes, poor things, or what's a hairdo for?

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel.

xxoo

Sis

The Fool said...

"It is at once our loneliness and our dignity to have an incommunicable personality that is ours, ours alone and no one else's, and will be so forever.

When human society fulfills its true function the persons who form it grow more and more in their individual freedom and personal integrity. And the more each individual develops and discovers the secret resources of his own incommunicable personality, the more he can contribute to the life and the weal of the whole. Solitude is as necessary for society as silence is for language and air for the lungs and food for the body."

- Thomas Merton: "Seeds"

Ms Baroque said...

Hey, guys - did you notice we finished with this one? See overhead? I cheered up. It took, as RH points out, approximately till I thought of a funny last line. Once I got the black coffee back into my bloodstream I was great.

Thomas Merton would have loved me. I can be quite happily alone in a cafe full of strangers. Or in a room full of people who want me to do something. (Seriously, Fool: thanks for that. You've raised the tone and made me smile.)

Sis, I was about to tell RH he was just like you and then you popped up saying you know how I feel!! You're just like Gwyn, popping in to say we're related just as I'm trying to convince everybody I'm alone in the world and no one cares. And he had an email from Mom. God. What a family. (Wait! Where's my email from mom?)

RH, a hairdo? No, no. It's a hair CUT and it is so I don't look like a haystack. That would be Impressionism too far (see next post).

When you say silverware, do you mean forks and spoons (boring) or bracelets and earrings (necessary for happiness, probably even to Thomas Merton)?

Jura, well it made me laugh.


TSP, I sure did. Coffee is such a panacea. And I went to Newington Green which is also a three-wheeled-buggy-free zone.

Anyway, dear readers, your Ms B is a contrarian soul, well known for being just plain dissatisfied. Here it is Monday of the long weekend and after all that I'm pissed off because it's the last day and I can't be alone tomorrow. I just feel embarrassed. But then, if you can't have a whinge on your own blog, where can you have it.

bye bye bellulah said...

For the first 29 years of my life I lived with family, other students, a group of friends, a man alone. During that entire period I was serially monogamous with a string of imaginery friends. Some made up, others, like Boris Becker, Dan Ackroyd and Axl Rose, were, er, made up, too!

Then, at 29, I was living alone for the first time and within 4 weeks, while seeing Jeff Buckley for the first time, on Late Review, and weighing him up for potential next-imaginery-friend-status, I realised I didn't need one any more. Being alone I finally had time to be me and not the shell around the void that my society had constructed.

Now I meet my edges from within and while I feel the same about always having to be the one that puts the kettle on, remembers the bills and presents both sides of the argument, I don't care about the certainty of aloneness nearly as much as I thought I would do.

Sending you friendly (not at all crazy) greetings.

Reading the Signs said...

dear Ms B - I know you've cheered up now with coffee and film (please report back on Pirates), but ever thought of living in Brighton? It's fun for poets, and alone-or-not time is altogether more flexible and, well, I've tried unsuccessfully to convince Pants to live there so thought I'd try someone else. And I might be moving quite near there soon, and if that's not a recommendation - oh well,
look in at mine and I'll give you a virtual coffee and home-made meringue.

R.H. said...

By silverware, I mean all that glitters.

-Robert.

Ms Baroque said...

RH, ohhhh... well count me in. I can resist anything except all that glitters! (I've never even understood why it mattered if it wasn;t gold - surely being sparkly is more than enough?)

Hi there Bellulah - great name, btw.

Well, I was about to say I'm going to delete this post if you guys don't learn to just get over it - but then I was thinking. It's the human comedy, I mean we are, and while your imaginary friends might sound weird - oops, I mean cute - I'm sure every single person has these things going on inside their head it is how we cope with being human.

And I think this silly post of mine is maybe bringing some of that element in us out, for a little bank holiday airing.

(I'm surprised you stopped just as you got to Jeff Buckley! That seems a bit mad to me.)

RTS, now that is a great idea! I love Brighton. If I could, I've always said I would live there - not like TSP, she is incorrigible. Maybe I should aim to move to Brighton for my (ahem) retirement. That gives me about 30 years to sort myself out here - I'll only be 100 then. But seriously, it is an idea for the future when I'm not so tied to N16.

R.H. said...

Don't be coy, you love candelabra.

Or what use is a leg wax?

Ms Baroque said...

Two different things, RH. Each useful in its way.

R.H. said...

Some things are associated, to my poor mind. And I was ready to mention facials, but don't wish to argue.