Thursday, 24 May 2007

kind to poetry

It has been suggested to me that I 'never post poems on my blog'. While I would point out that I have, very occasionally, put poems on here, I generally agree with the observation. However, I am in a good mood with poetry today. For a change it's being nice to me so I will be nice back.

In a moment of social weakness, also, I posted this work-in-progress elsewhere the other day, and it seems odd to let them see it over there and not you over here. It also ties in nicely to Sunday's magic pig theme.

In Which the Poet Adopts the Shape of a Swineherd, to Little Avail

I love you the more because you remind me
of a painting I saw, of a young pig

kneeling to declare its love to a swineherd.
Oh love me not, young swineherd-fancier,

keening at the morning star, staring at my visage,
but leave me, pig-headed swine that I too am.

Desiring to be heard, and panting
with the effort of the hill, the still-

reeling porcine lover prepares its declaration,
fated always to be ill-fĂȘted.

For why should all my originality,
my selfness, or anyone’s, be subsumed

in some porkish hankering to be loved,
to be not part of the herd, to hoard goodwill

like a memento ⎯ nailing its pictures to your hard-walled heart
⎯ hoping that through accumulation,

by laying its platitudes over each other
one by one, its will will supercede will and become

Love? The hill declines. The pig becomes a boy.
The swineherd changes back into a girl.

Love becomes a painting with tiny brushstrokes.
The painting becomes a dream I dreamed

long before I knew or thought of you.
The very thought’s a vapour.


7 comments:

Monozygote said...

This is wonderful! I'm glad you posted it.

Part of it reminds me in a small way of Love Without Hope by Robert Graves.

On a pig-ish and thereby related note, do you know Fuck Pig by Will Holloway?

Pants said...

Hi Ms B

Fabulous.

I've printed it out to enjoy at leisure. I am so glad you and poetry are best buds at the moment. Only good can come of it.

xxx

Pants

Andrew Shields said...

May poetry continue to buy you rounds.

The Fool said...

Being just a pig in the herd, what do I know of poetry? Nice piece, Ms. B. I particularly liked the image of "to hoard goodwill/like a memento/ nailing its pictures to your hard-walled heart," and the closing:

Love becomes a painting with tiny brushstrokes.
The painting becomes a dream I dreamed

long before I knew or thought of you.
The very thought’s a vapour.

Yes. Very nice. Indeedy.

Thank you for sharing.

Matt Merritt said...

That's wonderful! And there should be far more poems about pigs.

Ms Baroque said...

Dandelion, I can't say I do. And yet it sounds familiar. It' a memorable title, isn't it¡ (Glad you like this one.)

Pants, thankyouthankyou... it is but in progress at the mo, but I can assure you all will be well.

Andrew, if it was going to buy me rounds I'd be bloody ecstatic. Oh... you mean virtual ones. Thanks!

Thanks fool. I'm not really sharing, though: I think I was delirious when I wrote this - when I went to look at it a few weeks later I didn't recognise it at all! I think I really did turn into a magic pig or something, one with powers of typing.

Matt, thank you, and I can only agree.

Monozygote said...

I will send it to you if you like. It's an elegy to Ted Hughes. Elegy might not be quite the right word.