Sunday, 20 May 2007

Lloyd Alexander


















Among the infant Baroquelina's favourite all-time books were the Chronicles of Prydain - a series of children's fantasy novels based on the ancient Welsh repository of myth, the Mabinogion, by Lloyd Alexander. The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron - The High King, with its vague Narnian overtones - I loved them all.

When I was eighteen, en route to North Carolina with a group of friends, I happened to be passing through Philadelphia. I knew Alexander lived in a suburb of Philadelphia called Drexel Hill (its name is still engraved on my memory, since I had to figure out how to get there). I think he must have been in the phone book - I think I must have got my courage together and called him - because I made the pilgrimage and sat, or rather perched, in Lloyd Alexander's living room (without my friends). He talked to me about being a writer, and my writing, and his lifelong friendship with another childhood hero of mine (I might have known), Maurice Sendak. (There was a framed drawing of Mozart, by Sendak, on the wall, which I looked at longingly throughout our conversation.) He must have told me about his years in the Army, stationed in Wales and then Europe, and how he read the ancient myths... and we both had a passion for the Arthur legends. It was a wonderful afternoon and probably more important to me than I even knew.

Lloyd Alexander died last Thursday, May 17th, in the same house I sat in those years ago. That fact feels surprising to me now. His wife of 61 years - whom I also met that day - had died two weeks earlier.

A childrens' books website called kidsreads.com quotes Alexander, talking characteristically modestly, about how he came to write:

"My parents were horrified when I told them I wanted to be an author " Alexander recalls. "I was fifteen in my last year of high school. My family pleaded with me to forget literature and do something sensible such as find some sort of useful work. "I had no idea how to find work useful or otherwise. In fact I had no idea how to become an author. If reading offered any preparation for writing there were grounds for hope. I had been reading as long as I could remember. Shakespeare Dickens Mark Twain and so many others were my dearest friends and greatest teachers. I loved all the world s mythologies; King Arthur was one of my heroes; I played with a trash can lid for a knightly shield and my uncle's cane for the sword Excalibur. But I was afraid that not even Merlin the enchanter could transform me into a writer."

This lack of self-importance also determined his career as a children's author. I don't have a source for it, but I read years ago - before I visited him, I think - that Alexander said, "Children's books are written to be read. Adult novels are written to be talked about at cocktail parties." (Strangely, even as a kid - and one with passionate loyalty to the books and authors I loved, and one who knew full well the depth of the importance of children's fiction - while I could see what he meant by this, I couldn't quite see what was so bad about the other. I thought, well, if they're talking about them, they must think they're important - right? It's as if, through my haze of sun-bonnets and magic pigs, I saw my own grown-up self.)

Anyway, Alexander decided to write for the people who cold most benefit from the particular thing he had to give, and a wonderful gift it was. Over a long career he wrote over forty books, mostly for children, and those children have grown up into adults who still love his books. He was very generous as a writer, and certainly very kind to me.

Thanks to Edward Champion for the sad news.

4 comments:

Coirí Filíochta said...

Excellant article, very human, hope the eyes are holding out and there is a lovely piece in Frdays guardian book blog by sam jordison, in the nuthouse in carolina sniffing the ghost of f scott-fitzgerald's wife, the tragedy of which i knew not till reading sam's stuff and he gets into the haunty zone, really evoking a spirit, a certain ghostly gravitas of tragedy, as he can hardly go for gags considering the subject matter, although the eye detecys he was buzzing when he wrote it, joyous at the register he pulled off, in the hot carolinas near the ocean, on assignment, jammy git.

Ms Baroque said...

Hi Desmond, it is you isn't it? Glad you like the post. And thanks, the eyes are okay at the mo, but I must make an appointment.

And the North Carolina gig sounds pretty enviable, I must say. I'll have a look at the article. Zelda Fitsgerald is a tragic heroine of American letters.

I must say, I'd also love to be in Dublin..!

Pants said...

What a lovely story Ms B. You went and met this wonderful man when you were so young. What a fantastic memory to have. You always amaze me.

xxx

Pants

Coirí Filíochta said...

Yes kate it is me, on the bore-floe waffling non-stop torpor with the talented enemies i construct as the mental sidhe to battle with in my capacity as an unemployable drone moaning on and on in the virtual fiction factories. My latest "wangst" e-rag (as novelist julian gough terms writerly angst) is the guardian books blog, tranquing out the editor as i work in my ficticious job as a flaming hack. O those far off days of poem.uk seem so long ago, the constant trolling where first i learned the art of competitive boredom with the small cabal of ac-faces from the world of english language lettered artists wielding the wit, before they booted me off for being a git getting on my colleagues tits and pissing off they who must remain nameless for fear of a libel suit or accusations of slander.

I am half way through reading, what i hope will be a slug-fest between two heavy hitters. I wanna see some blodd and gore on the bore-floe as the minds shag across the iced utterance, the killer intellects going for the nock-out blow.

Only joking. I am now only one connection away from you now, as i hooked up with quincy lehr the trinity professor and neo formalist from Oklahoma, who told me he met you in London when he red there. We did the Love Poetry Hate Racism event here the other month and all seems to be bubbling up on the horizon for the island wueen of memory gang who fought it out in Belfast, two from each region, with two going through to the Radio 4 slam i like to think i made happen, after writing to ian macmillan and co last year outling my proposition that they pay me as a consultant for the rights to the first All Ireland Live Poetry Competition to be held in Limerick in October. They tentatively talked till they realised it wasn't free and now we have had a good dry run for the real thing.

Check out the poets. Paul Casey, literary officer with the tigh fili arts centre in cork filmed them and put them up online and if you fancy coming over to Dublin in September mike igoe who runs a poetry night in carnival could offer you a featured reading spot, although the pay is crap, just enough to cover your flight and a few pints, but thing of the kudos, the bullshit to play with should you wend your spells in the goth pit of carnival, upstairs every other wednesday.

http://www.obheal.ie/blog/?page_id=18