elegantly dressed philosophy

(alas, my friends know I would wear these. Don't they make you feel happy just looking at them.)
Rather than feature one elegantly-dressed person this Wednesday, I would like to being to your attention a force for elegance itself, in the form of the Manolo.
Frequenters of my sidebar will have seen nestling there, for some considerable time now, a cosy little link to Manolo's Shoe Blog.The Manolo who writes this blog is far too distinguished to have a normal identity, day job and street address; he is a fashion phenomenon who is just as happy to share his distress at witnessing a fashion disaster as he is to celebrate the beauty we all carry within us in the form of our clothes. (Well, mine are within me. Yours are within me too, so please make them nice.)
Manolo is extra deserving of an EDW, because he himself has an EDW, called Whose Shoes Wednesday.
The Manolo's campaign against those strange plastic clogs with holes gladdens the baroque heart. There is just no excuse for wearing those in town. In St Ives I saw someone in crops and a tan, wearing some grey (note: not yellow, green or purple) ones, and it just about worked, because there was sand everywhere.
But the post of Manolo that gladdens my heart the very most is this: and you have to click on the link where he's talking about the Japanese children watching Pokemon. I know. I'm low.
The good news is that the Manolo has got a beautiful pamphlet out. The Consolation of the Shoes looks like being a wonderful, cheering and exquisite thing. I can assure you that Baroque Mansions will soon be sporting a copy.
Here's a review of it from the estimable American magazine, The Utne Reader:
“Riffing on Christian philosopher Boethius’ 6th-century work, the Consolation of Philosophy, Manolo’s writing integrates medieval-style text about longing for inner happiness with a fashionisto’s 21st century crisis of faith to create a social statement of footwear equality. Manolo’s erudition leads the reader on a humor-filled treasure hunt through oblique pop-culture references, quotes from Paradise Lost, the annals of European art history, and world culture.”
“From the Stacks,” Utne Reader, May 18,2007
I leave you with an elegant picture of Boethius. I've been in a very medieval mood lately.





10 comments:
They look like lying-down shoes to me - very elegantly nestling on satin pillows, I imagine.
I have not the faintest idea what you are talking about. Truly, shoes are the one thing (things?) that men and women are utterly incompatible on. I have 3 pairs, and 1 of them (trainers) I never wear.
They look like the footwear equivalent of a cilis.
Nice post...but from a guy who only owns 2 pair of sneakers, and a pair of riding boots:
Beauty is a bikini wax 'n waitin' for yer nails to dry
Beauty is a colored pencil, scribbled all around yer eye
Beauty is a pair of shoes that makes you wanna die
Beauty is a Beauty is a Beauty is a Lie
- Frank Zappa
Obviously not a fashionist myself, but still amiable to those who are. And heck, I bet I'd look good in those shoes...they'd go well with the motorcycle leathers.
;)
You guys crack me up. To think of the number of Google hits I've had off searches for "baroque clothes" - and then when I post up some $500 shoes that look like Sleeping Beauty's forest no one gets me! Ohhh, it's no use.
TSP, the satin cushions sound wonderful. I was seeing these more with some cropped jeans, or some black outfit. However, at any point in the day, when presented with a satin cushion, I'd love to put my feet up. (The wedges make them, btw, very good for walking and standing.)
Adrian dear, the word is "inscrutable." That's why it's like philosophy. That and the consolation, like I said.
Francis, I don't know what that means, but it sounds a bit rude...
Fool, you know perfectly well that quoting Zappa and talking about motorcycle leathers means you are PART of this philosophy thing. Adrian should have a pair of riding boots, just so he can tell girls about them.
But I think people are too easily impressed by the sound of "motorcycle leathers" - you mention Frank, so we all think of flowing locks, glinting eyes and everything being either denim or black. But I used to work with a guy who talked about his leathers, and then it turned out he wore a red, white and blue all-in-one!
What shoes! Remiss of Boethius not to let us know that they were Fortuna's footwear of choice.
Exactement, Quink.
Francis, I don't know what that means, but it sounds a bit rude...
Being hardcore Catholic, it is by definition obscene. A cilis is a spiked chain worn around the thigh by members of Opus Dei. Suffering is godly, see.
Francis, thank God for that. I was afraid it might be a little hatchback or something.
I've ridden motorcycles for over 30 years. Haven't worked a summer in my life. True die-hard. There's only one color for a motorcycle - black - and the same goes for leathers...and it's easy to tell the wannabes...broken in leathers have a look of their own...and then there are the bugs on them...
Still, I can't help wondering how others would respond if I showed up for a run in those shoes...
You disturbed my happy place with that image of a red, white, and blue one piece...I'll have to return before responding to your poetry. I'll be kind...heh heh
I'll post a poem for you sometime today..."She Says She Writes Poetry" - it goes along with the play here...and it addresses Stalin's poetic angst. All in fun, Homie.
;)
Post a Comment