mayday, mayday
So. That's the bank holiday weekend over then.
It was a quiet time in Baroque Towers, at least after the departure of the four 13-year-old girls on Saturday lunchtime. Quiet, except for the thousand coffees* Ms B found herself committed to with a variety of friends, one of whom had not been seen for many months. But Saturday afternoon was spent horizontal - Miss Pamela, are you there? You were so right! Six hours on the pink sofa, reading the entire Saturday Guardian, and (sorry guys) I can't remember any of it now (except that I saved a picture of Gerard Depardieu jumping; he's lost loads of weight, but even that, though he looks very happy, is immaterial to me. I have always loved him).
There was a long phone conversation with La Soeur Baroque: our dad is improving a bit but I think it's just how you look at it, really. A shorter one with Mama B. A long one with the hitherto-unseen friend, at whose studio I later ate mango and strawberries, and drank black coffee with cinnamon in it, for several hours.
I owe several people emails. If you, reading this, are one of those people, rest assured that I loved receiving your email, that my reply is half-written in my Drafts folder, and that I really will send it!
Today, a little writing, and then walked to Newington Green once it had stopped raining. Mlle B and her friends went to see the Spiderman movie and left halfway through: bored. The boys are in mushroom mode over at their father's.
Exciting isn't it!
There's a poetry reading tomorrow (Roddy Lumsden and Tim Wells) at a fun new bookshop in Waterloo (Crockatt & Powell, 119-120 Lower Marsh, 7pm, £3), with floor spots. But I doubt I'll be going. I was halfway through cooking my mussels in white wine and tomato sauce when the desperate lassitude came over me.
I think I'm really ready to move on to the next bit, now.
Bed, in a minute.
* Maybe not a thousand. Three, in one afternoon, though. And a glass of mineral water in a Thai restaurant. Yum, yum.





2 comments:
Do you also find it annoying that restaurants serve mineral water with ice in it? Since the ice (in all probability) is not made of mineral water, you are being cheated.
This annoys me. But, as you know, Periodic Englishman doesn't call me Grumpire for nothing.
P-Ump, I have to say this is not something that has ever bothered me. I'm very low. I even put ice in white wine if the wine isn't cold enough.
However, I deeply respect and admire it in you. And of course Grumpire is the sort of name one could only aspire to.
Post a Comment