Saturday, 26 May 2007

two old codgers












My surly Estonian uncle was in the hospital this week in New York State. (Yes, have you noticed? The elder Baroques are not taking proper care of themselves at all.) It turns out he's had a heart attack and it was very scary, but it was a minor one and he's home now. He's even been talked out of setting up his usual flea market stall today. (I know, I know: selling the family silver, I've complained and complained.)

While he was in the hospital there were two very old codgers in the corridor, conversing competitively about their medical histories.

One codger was saying: "Well, did you ever have a colonoscopy?"

"Yeah, I had one of those," said the second codger. "But did you ever have your left testicle removed?"

"No, I never had that," the first codger replied, "but have you lost all your toes to frostbite?"

As I told my aunt, you wouldn't want to look at either of them too closely after hearing that.

No comments: