Friday, 11 May 2007

the real thing: Stamford Hill, 9am

On my way to the bus stop this morning - after yet another day off sick yesterday, when I slept do long and so deeply that when I woke up I thought for a minute that I'd never even rung in - I realised I needed a Nurofen. No way around it - so I nipped into the ABC Pharmacy at the top of the hill & got the pills, plus a dewy-fresh Diet Coke to wash them down with.

My Hackney readers may be familiar with this spot, and will know that there is a traffic island there which divides the main road into two separate lanes. It's also a spot where the bus drivers change over their shifts, so there was a bus company guy standing there, in a reflective jacket, carrying a clipboard. As I waited on the traffic island to cross back over to my bus stop, clicking open my Diet Coke (don't you love that sound?) and swallowing my pills, I suddenly heard a voice - it was the bus company guy.

He went, "Phwoar!! Caffeine, Nurofen - the lot! I feel better already!"

Funnily enough, so did I!

3 comments:

Ms Baroque said...

Comments now open! While they were off (for reasons unknown), the sainted Quink dropped by the post below and wrote the following:

I heard a nice one in Somerfield earlier. I was selecting a bottle of plonk when I overheard a young son say to his mother, apropos of absolutely nothing at all:

"Mummy. Do you know I can spell MONSTER?"

7:37 PM

...to which I have replied that he is lucky, as I have never seen a cute child in that Somerfields. Sad, but true. Not counting when I've been in there with Mlle B, of course.

Miss Hacksaw said...

Ah, I wondered where the comments were! In their absence I linked you instead, as my passion for Nurofen and Diet Coke together had to be acknowledged somehow.

Ms Baroque said...

Ah, well I have commented there. It's like a Diet Coke party here!

And by the way, there have been times in my life when Nurofen has been almost the only thing that kept me going. It's fabulous stuff.