setting the tone

Anyone out and about in Stoke Newington on Friday night could do nothing better than pop into Stage B, where lively local band The Homertones will be performing a rare set.
Featuring a glittering line-up of old codgers - sorry, according to their advance publicity, ' silver rockers' - all hailing from the Homerton/Clapton/Stoke Newington area, the band will remind you why you love living in Hackney, even as you jump to the jive. It'll be even better if you like Hawaiian shirts.
As I'm plugging this gig - and as we all know it'll be a fun night out, you can maybe get a pizza first and then dance it off to the kind of live music that just makes everybody feel great - I won't tell you about the fight that broke out on the pavement ouside Stage B, one day last summer when Mlle B and I were standing outside Il Bacio Express waiting for a take-away pizza... suffice to say that when I complained to the woman at the bar about the rapid escalation of shouting, swearing and staggering, she started shouting at me - turns out the drunk throwing punches was one of their oldest friends...
Fine time to be had by all, guaranteed:
Stage B, 98-100 Stoke Newington Church Street N16
Friday 1st June from 9 pm
Featuring:
Alan Cripps - guitar/harmonica/vocals
Andrew Wilkes - bass/vocals
Adam Griffith - keyboards/mandolin/vocals
Rob Campbell - guitar/vocals
Guy Smith - sax
Arnold Lane - drums
Playing songs by Louis Jordan, Sam Cooke and many others.





3 comments:
"Arnold Lane" - good Lord, either his parents were very, very cruel or they were not Pink Floyd fans. I don't like either sort of people. (I know there's a slight variation in spelling, but that's not something to concern your average playground bully. Then again, schoolchildren these days who've heard of Syd Barrett are unlikely to be the bullies ...)
Some things about Stoke Newington never change - thankfully. Bring back Chats Arkestra.
TSP - hear, hear!
P-Ump, true words and all - anyone at school these days who's heard of Syd Barrett is unlikely to be a kid. (Unless their last name is Baroque, of course...)
Post a Comment